Sunday, October 11, 2009

Week #6 Think #13

This week asked us to look at the social book marking site called Del.icio.us specifically at the account highlight for Classroom Learning 2.0. I did not follow the suggestion to add it to my RSS feed, I have just enough information there to work with. Speaking of Google reader... I LOVE the fact that when I look in my favorites the number of unread posts will show up next to Google Reader! Right now I have 689 posts. But I know Science Daly has at least 500 of those posts, so its not really too much to look at. I have set up an account with del.isio.us and I even tried adding tags to organize my sites. I just have too many bookmarks to do at once. There are four people in this house that share my lap top, I really didn't know how many sites they bookmarked until I had this assignment. I want to check with them before I delete their sites.

I think this site can be very useful to librarians. Many of us will be working in isolation and having a network of sites to use can be very helpful. But once again this site is blocked through our filtering program. I did ask two of our computer technicians what they thought my chances of getting permission to access these restricted sites were, and they felt I had no chance at all. It appears that a former librarian at the middle school in our district wanted to test the filtering program for the students and entered in several pornographic web sites, she lost her job and the case is still in the courts. I may have to wait a little longer before I ask again.

1 comment:

Lesley Farmer said...

the librarian "testing" story is an excellent reason for having a site "sandbox" to test out different sites, tools.