Sunday, December 6, 2009

Etiquette and Awareness

This weeks module explores Etiquette and Awareness. Although two of the hyperlinks provide in the module were not working, I understand the idea. There is power in the words that we use when we are communicating with a person with a disability. The You-Tube video was a nice switch demonstrating an able bodied man as he navigates the world of that is occupied only by people with handicaps. I passed the Quiz on knowledge and attitude relating to a person with disability with a 100%. The last part was interesting, the ten commandments with the increasing font size. I was wondering why it was like that until I pushed the glasses up further on my nose! It was much easier reading the larger size font, as a I'm sure a person with low vision would agree:)

Resources for Independent Living, Inc. Is Burlington County New Jersey web site that is a good source of information on programs that serve people with disabilities.
Here are the web sites that I felt would be useful for Assistive Technology:
1. The Aliance for Technology Access This site was designed to help students with disabilities increase their use of technology.
2.Assistive Tech by Tobii ATI is another great source of hardware and software specifically for assistive technology.
3.Family Guide to Assistive Technology has many links to helpful sites including funding AT, making AT decisions, and making AT a part of a childs education.
4. Assistive Technology for Children with Autism I liked that this site had specific information for children wit autism. Some times it is nice to get specific information
5. Assistive Technology partners is the next web site I would like suggest for my students and parents to review this site offers persons with disabilites to reach their highest potential through the addition of appropriate assistive technoloy.

2 comments:

Lesley Farmer said...

disabilities come in all flavors...
thanks for the annotated URLs

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Wow this is a great list of links! Thanks for sharing all you've discovered. I am going to check out that Family guide and the one on children with autism. I am sure I can use that information for my students and families in the school.